1987-04 Mustang, Bilstein HD series shock for solid-axle Mustang, with dust boot and progressive bumpstops.
- Suitable for both stock-location springs and coil-over conversions. See chart below for spring recommendations.
- Shocks are suitable for a coil-over conversion when the shock body has been grooved for this purpose. Order package number BIL-7.1 (with its pre-grooved shocks) or use grooved rear shock part number GBE5-6418-H4 if a future rear coil-over conversion is a possibility.
For more details
Heavy Duty (HD) Bilstein Spring Recommendations
Conventional Spring Sets
MM Road & Track
H&R Super Sport
Coil-Over Spring Rates
Solid Axle Rear Springs
175 - 250 lb/in
Heavy Duty (HD) Bilsteins
- Firm, yet good ride quality, as is expected of a performance car
- Bilstein struts and shocks are made with patented mono-tube technology
- High nitrogen gas pressure prevents oil foaming and resultant fading
- Monotube design has better heat dissipation than twin-tube dampers, keeps the oil cooler, and decreases heat-induced damper fade
- Velocity-sensitive valving improves ride quality
- Each Bilstein strut and shock is tested on a shock dyno
- Requires a machined groove for a coil-over conversion. Use GBE5-6418-H4 instead.
- Includes an integral, progressive bump stop
- Bilstein struts and shocks include dustcovers
- MM Sport series and MM Race series dampers are better suited for more aggressive spring rates.
- Why install SN95 shocks on a Fox chassis?
work very well in street applications with a variety of both conventional springs and coil-over conversions. They are designed to deliver the best possible ride quality coupled with impressive street performance. The HD series dampers were not designed for use with overly aggressive spring rates, particularly in coil-over conversions. For dampers more suited to aggressive spring rates, see the MM Sport series and MM Race series dampers.
The HD series rear shocks must have a groove machined in the shock housing to accept the MM rear coil-over conversion kit
. To obtain grooved shocks, either order package number BIL-7.1
, or rear shocks part number GBE5-6418-H4
While they are non-adjustable, Bilstein's unique deflective-disc valve design instantaneously self-adjusts to changing road surfaces. Their performance does not degrade with age, usage, or heat, requiring no compensating manual adjustments as with other brands. Bilstein uses a patented mono-tube design that allows for a larger piston size than is possible with a twin-tube damper. The mono-tube design provides better heat dissipation to keep the damper's oil cooler, and decreases heat-induced damper fade. High-pressure nitrogen gas prevents oil foaming and fading. Every Bilstein damper is tested on a shock dyno before leaving the factory to ensure quality.
All Bilstein struts and shocks include dustcovers suitable for use with conventional springs.